Wednesday, March 30, 2011

GO BACK TO MEDICATION!!!

I know you think medication is going to "save me" and help my family.  That seems to be a valid idea, judging by the circumstances.  However, there's something you should know.

I did not stop taking medication against my psychiatrist's treatment plan.  I have to get that out there.  The only thing I did differently is that I stopped completely and did it cold turkey.  The withdrawl was unbearable, but necessary.  The reason it had to happen so quickly is because I moved back to Oregon, and my psychiatrist was unable to renew my prescription for me.  I had two choices.  I either needed to expedite my end date for taking medication, or I needed to find some county doctor to re-evaluate and medicate me.

Doctors love to change people's medications.  They love making whatever cocktail they can to appease the drug companies who produce them.  I don't want to be their guinnie pig.  No way.  I wasn't about to switch doctors and have them try to give me Seroquel (an  atypical antipsychoticagain.  No way.  

Many people think I have "episodes" and problems coping because I have stopped taking my SSRI.  However, the episodes were more frequent and more severe while on medication.  Stopping the medication has put me in a place where I can control my emotions much better, just as therapy has helped me understand my emotions.  You (you know if I mean you) are only noticing the episode now because you read about it and how painful it is for the first time.  You associated it with medication because you are uninformed.  Here's the information.  Read it, research it, then judge if you must.

First of all, there is no medication to treat OCPD.  There are other mental problems that arise with OCPD such as depression and anxiety, caused by the strife the OCPD person feels each day.  There are medications to treat both anxiety and depression, and they should be used where needed.  However, what do you do if you only have OCPD with transitional anxiety?  I was never depressed.  I should never have been given an SSRI.  There are other illness where medication is required, and when stopping the medication leads to horror stories (such as mood disorders ,Schizoaffective disorder, and others).  Keep in mind as well, that you'll never feel as good as you do after your first hit of SSRI, according to some.

However, America and big business drug companies want to sell their products.  I was given my first cocktail four years ago, without a diagnosis or a way out.  I was given an SSRI for keeping my house too clean.  Strange, isn't it?

My prescription of celexa in the morning and trazodone in the evening left me fuzzy, to say the least.  It's difficult to explain, but I see it like having a bag over my head.  I was unable to see the details because of fuzziness; I could not get excited.  I was not sad and angry.  Very rarely was I motivated to do anything besides the day to day mundaneness of life.  It is a sad reality, really.  However, I tend to take my situation and my surroundings and make the best of it.  So, when I wanted to feel something, I'd get drunk.  Makes sense, right?  Drunk is a feeling.  Right.  When I say I drank a lot, I mean, A LOT.  If you want the amount just ask.

When I spoke with my psychiatrist (a real psychiatrist) for the first time, he was shocked and dismayed that I had been on medication for so long, let alone on meds at all.  His first priority was to get me off medication and into psychotherapy.  He said the medication was hindering, not helping me.  I needed to be in control of my feelings to be able to live with myself and learn about myself.  I thrived with control in my world.  He asked what made me think I could be successful if I couldn't control the one most important human trait: feelings.  That was four months before we moved home to Oregon.

When I was faced with the option of continuing my "drug" addiction to Celexa, or just facing the withdrawl (the scariest part) of stopping, and getting it over with.  That is what my previous blog was referring to.  

I am going to include a page on my blog for you to view which will include various articles and sources regarding medication use for OCPD.  Please research and form your own opinion; after all, I'm just a girl with an illness.  

5 comments:

  1. Mel, I'm so sorry you're on such a roller-coaster. I do think meds have their palce in the treatment of this condition - based on anecdotal stories I've heard - but I also understand totally not wanting to be a guinea pig, either.

    As I understand it, the idea use of medications for treating OCPD is to interrupt the overriding anxiety, so that CBT or other behavior modification techniques have time to "take." (They say it takes about 3 months to break a habit or form a new one.)

    For SURE, there is no "magic pill" that cures OCPD, just swallow one at breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your thoughts Writing Goddess. I walked your thoughts with my psychiatrist, as well. The reason, for me, that "interrupting the overriding anxiety" doesn't work is that I have TRANSITIONAL anxiety. I only become overwhelmed when something changes. This week, Ben is taking on double the workload, and though we have managed to work out a schedule to have a couple nights together each week, it is more than likely going to be taken away. I do believe that is what my episode really was about. I had to change our schedules, yet again, and just when I was in control of the one we had.... does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not opposed to taking anti-anxiety medication when it is truly needed, I'm just apposed to taking them daily when they are not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was put on Celexa for about 5 months before I stopped because of various reasons like weight gain, water retention, inability to cry or feel emotion, and other things. If you can handle this on your own without medication I commend you because not everyone is able to. Take each day as one and build your own support system. It's good that you are writing about this and sharing your thoughts. This might help someone else along the way experiencing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comment, it is a rough road, I agree. I think it's possible to handle the situation without medication. I hope it is, and if it isn't we'll see. I appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete